Sara E. Milburn, Attorney
Attorney Collaborative, Family Law Attorney
Sara Milburn Attorney at Law
105 S. Crescent Bay Drive, Suite E
Laguna Beach, CA 92651
Having practiced family law in Orange County for over 30 years, I have observed first-hand the tremendous expense and devastation caused by litigation. I believe that going to court is seldom the best option for the client.
I have been involved in mediation for the last 25 years. However, unless a couple has been referred to me by their counselor, or a trusted friend or advisor, so often one party or the other is afraid to trust the mediation process, fearing a power imbalance or that they would not be treated fairly. Therefore, sadly, in most instances, the parties end up in the adversarial arena.
In collaborative practice, both parties have an attorney to advise them and ensure that their rights are being protected, and still have all of the advantages of mediation, as well. I believe this process of resolving the issues in a divorce in an amicable manner is quicker, less costly, protects both parties, and is emotionally healthier for the parties, especially when children are involved.
There is so much devastation caused by divorce in the traditional manner, and with collaborative practice, people are not forced into polarized positions as they are in litigation, thereby alleviating much of the anger and frustration associated with this difficult time. Often in a court proceeding, a client feels as if something has been “done to them.” In collaboration, each client becomes a part of the resolution process, giving both parties more control over their future. Collaboration can help restore the balance of power and be a part of the healing process, and I am thankful that this option is now available to people who are faced with divorce.
Type of Profession: A
- University of California at Berkeley, BA
- University of California at Irvine, Teaching Credential
- Chapman University, MA in Education
- Western State University, College of Law, JD
- Collaborative Divorce Solutions of Orange County
- Premarital Mentor for Couples, Rock Harbor Church
- State Bar of California – 1979
Professional Training in Collaborative Process:
- Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution
- 2004 Basic Interdisciplinary Training
- 2006 Interdisciplinary Training
- 2006 Advanced Interdisciplinary Training
- 2009 Full Team Protocols for Collaborative Divorce Practice
- 2010 The Art and Science of Resilience: Facilitating the Prepared Mind of the Collaborative Client
- 2012 Training the Trainers
- 2013 Interdisciplinary Team Training
- 2014 Advanced Training
- 2014 Challenges of the Real World Collaboration
- 2014 Scaffolding Complex Cases
- 2014 Comparative Law
- 2015 Conflict Resolution
Areas of practice:
Collaborative Divorce, Divorce Mediation, Mediation